Light Scalpel CO2 Laser
WHAT IS A LIGHTSCALPEL CO2 LASER?
The LightScalpel CO2 laser is a device that produces a concentrated beam of light. The highly focused CO2 laser beam cleanly and precisely vaporizes tissue, while sealing blood vessels at the same time. Years of experience in medicine and oral surgery went into the design of the LightScalpel laser, which was made to provide superior care for patients.
WHAT IS LASER SURGERY AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Traditional surgery with a scalpel or scissors can bruise or crush tissue. The LightScalpel CO2 laser, uses an intense beam of laser light to interact with the tissue. This eliminates the mechanical trauma to the tissue.
The CO2 laser has the unique ability to vaporize or ‘erase’ tissue. The CO2 laser can be used to make incisions, as well as to remove unhealthy tissue. Our laser is so precise that it can selectively remove only a few cells at a time if needed. At the same time, it is powerful enough to de-bulk the largest of tumors.
ARE LIGHTSCALPEL LASER PROCEDURES SAFE?
When used according to accepted guidelines by a trained practitioner, the laser is as safe as other instruments. You will wear special protective glasses, just as you would to protect your eyes from sun exposure. Dr. Stastny has been using CO2 lasers for over 20 years in his practice. He and his staff are trained in all necessary safety and precautions to ensure your procedure is safe and has the best outcome they can provide.
The LightScalpel LS-1005 and LS-2010 CO2 Laser Systems are FDA cleared and intended for use in laser surgery procedures for incision, excision, vaporization, ablation, and/or coagulation of soft tissue in specialties such as: general surgery, dermatology, gynecology, dentistry and oral & maxillofacial surgery, otorhinolaryngology (ENT), plastic and reconstructive surgery, orthopedic surgery, neurosurgery, podiatry, and urology.
IS LASER SURGERY APPROPRIATE FOR ME?
A laser can perform a wide variety of surgical procedures. Dr. Stastny will be able to tell you if you are a candidate for laser surgery.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF LIGHTSCALPEL LASER PROCEDURES?
Here is a list of some of the many advantages for patients that the LightScalpel laser technology provides:
- Minimized Bleeding: As it vaporizes the tissue, the LightScalpel laser seals small blood vessels. This great reduction in bleeding makes surgical procedures quick and easy. In many cases, no sutures are required.
- Less Swelling and Discomfort: The LightScalpel CO2 laser beam seals lymphatics, resulting in less post-operative swelling and discomfort associated with traditional scalpel surgery.
- Reduced Risk of Infection: The sanitizing effect of the laser reduces the risk of infection and means faster healing.
- Shortened Surgery Time: Less bleeding results in the improved visibility of the surgical field. The surgeon and the team do not have to spend much time trying to control the bleeding, and as a result, the duration of the surgery is reduced.
- Faster recovery: Reduced trauma, minimized bleeding, less pain and swelling, and shorter periods of anesthesia mean, in most cases, you can go back to work or school the same day.
- Reduced Risk of Scarring: Several studies have shown that CO2 laser treated areas, (compared to traditional methods) heal with less wound contraction and scarring.
- Advanced laser tools mean better results: The lightweight ergonomic handpieces and flexible fiber waveguide of the LightScalpel CO2 laser allow for enhanced precision with pin-point accuracy. In addition, LightScalpel accessories significantly facilitate surgeries in difficult to reach places.
Curious About The Advanced Technology We Utilize?
Call our office to learn more about how we use different technologies to bring you the best dental experience possible.
FDA CLEARED AND AMERICAN MADE
LightScalpel, the American made 10.6-micrometer CO2 laser is cleared by the FDA for soft tissue surgical procedures, such as:
- Tongue-Tie Release
- Fibroma Removal
- Leukoplakia Treatment
- Stage II Implant Uncovering
- Laser Skin Resurfacing for the Treatment of Facial Wrinkles
- Rhinophyma Reduction
Frenectomy and Tongue Tie Release
Many people have a thin band of tissue between their tongue and floor of the mouth, or their lip and teeth that is called a frenum. In some patients this frenum may restrict speech, swallowing, feeding, lip movement or cause a gap between teeth. A LightScalpel laser frenectomy and tongue-tie release is a quick and gentle procedure that can be performed on patients from infants through adults. A release of the tongue-tie, or frenum often take less than a couple of minutes and requires no restrictive sutures and no general anesthesia. Some mothers have reported that immediately following their baby’s frenectomy, they were able to nurse with an improved latch and less pain during breastfeeding.
LEARN MORE ABOUT LIGHTSCALPEL SURGICAL LASERS:
- About the American surgical laser manufacture: LightScalpel, what makes LightScalpel different from other manufactures.
- Learn more about CO2Lasers and tissue interaction science and why the laser wavelength matters.
- Comparing LightScalpel CO2lasers to other surgical laser technologies